80% of infants in the US will receive formula before the age of 12 months. Parents and providers DESERVE research-based, unbiased information about the science, nutrition, and safe administration of infant formula.
Join me on my quest to end the feeling of helplessness that so often surrounds infant feeding decisions!
What You Get By Bringing Me To Your Event:
- Credibility. I have a PhD in Perinatal Nutrition, am a Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC), and have years of experience working with individual infants and their families as an Infant Feeding Expert. I have over a decade of experience conducting academic research in perinatal nutrition and teaching at the collegiate level. Every talk I give is accompanied by a full list of references made easily accessible to all attendees. Click here to view my full credentials.
- Distinction. I have quite a few nerd accolades (see above). But I pride myself on making medical research accessible and translating the science into applicable insights . . . and doing so with personality! I like to use humor and anecdotes to keep the audience interested. Please visit my YouTube channel to see this in action! While my weekly “Happy Hour Show” is extremely casual, it will provide you some insight into my personality and my ability to connect with an audience.
- Enthusiasm. I welcome interaction and always build in opportunities for audience participation, engagement, and questions. I promise you no one will fall asleep in my session!
- Commitment. Where my schedule allows, I love to attend the entire event. This allows me to expand my perspective and learn from the other attendees.
For a speaking proposal, more details, or any questions, please email: [email protected]
Most Requested Presentations
I will work with you to customize one of these talks or address a new infant nutrition topic to ensure your unique audience has an unforgettable experience.
- Bugs and Babies: Microbiome Development in the Infant and How To Optimize It
The microbiome has never been hotter! This talk delivers the must-know science of infants’ microbiome development. I focus on the modifiable factors that affect microbiome trajectory and related health outcomes. While the focus is the “gold standard” breastfed infant, I include discussion of the effect of formula feeding and different types of formula on the developing microbiome. I also include a brief review of the scientific methodology of microbiome research teaching attendees how to evaluate primary microbiome research for themselves.
- Quest for the Perfect Formula: Individualizing Formula Choice to Meet Infant Needs
This is one of my most popular talks – almost a “Formula 101” class. The focus is on the major macronutrients of infant formula. I digest (pun intended!) the various options in each macronutrient category and include a biology-based discussion of individual infants that may benefit from different choices. This talk will arm attendees with the knowledge to confidently read a formula label and accurately distinguish between marketing and science. More importantly – it will equip them with the ability to make an informed individualized formula recommendation.
- Baby Food: An Often Overlooked Window of Opportunity and Concern
This presentation reviews the biological and physiological needs of the older infant (> 5 months). I discuss how the exclusively breastfed vs formula fed infant has different nutritional needs … and risks … and how to appropriately address these individually. This talk includes a “real-word” review of common cultural complementary feeding practices that both align with, and contradict infant needs. I conclude with simple suggestions to optimize nutrition and minimize risk on an individual basis for this vulnerable age group. This talk is especially useful for lactation professionals and pediatricians who are the first-line of contact and a trusted resource for parents of older infants. This talk is loosely based around a review article I published in 2013.
- Supplementing the Breastfed Infant to Preserve Breastfeeding
This talk reviews the research base of the appropriate way to introduce supplementation in the first few days of life, when medically necessary, in a manner that preserves breastfeeding. I include practical tips that an be incorporated in the hospital and home setting. This talk is well suited for a shorter (20-30 minute) presentation and is very well-received by lactation support and perinatal health-care professionals.
- Common Formula Controversies: How to Make your Own Educated Judgments
It is no secret that the infant formula realm is often plagued with controversy. Unfortunately, misinformation and sensationalism are common. This talk educates attendees on how to interpret data surrounding such controversies for themselves, and answer parental concerns. I take a factual, evidence-based approach to review several different controversial ingredients/topics addressing regulation, testing, rationale, and common concerns. Examples include: Palm Oil, Corn Syrup, Hexane (extraction), and Homemade formula. This talk can be tailored to meet specific concerns that are commonly raised by your audience or clientele.
- Decoding Formula Marketing to Make Truly Educated Decisions for our Babies
This talk is best suited for an audience that has some underlying awareness of infant formula options. I focus on common marketing claims and break down the nutrition science that drives each. Examples include, “sensitive”, “easy to digest”, “closest to breast milk”, and more! Attendees will leave confident that they can ignore marketing all together and make decisions/recommendations based on nutrition and biology.